Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hobby Update

After a rough January, it seems my hobby mojo is back. It’s been a couple weeks since the last hobby update, and if I’m not mistaken, every one of my goals has been accomplished. I talked about acquiring A Game of Thrones previously, but that leaves the Daemon Prince, which is a pretty big model, and quartering the remaining Raptors, which meant doing everything twice.

The Raptors did turn out really well though. Because of the highly detailed nature of the upper bodies, the only part that was difficult to get a straight line of color on was the groin. It was encouraging not to have to go back over and over to try and get it right. While I do think the gold is prominent, I don’t think it goes so far over the top on the regular troopers that people will get confused when they look at them next to the rest of the army. The Aspiring Champion is very different, but that was a conscious choice. He bears enough of the common motifs that run through the army.

I really dig how the brown laurels came out on this marine.

It was incredibly simple, just a basecoat, wash, and a couple highlights. However, it emphasizes something I want to start doing to turn my army from tabletop force to special. I feel like adding little details like this one will do a lot. It is one aspect I began implementing with the Raptors, and plan on doing retroactively with the models I have. I want each unit to be unique, but have common features that tie the army together, so I sat down and put together a plan for details, like legion marking on the left, squad marking on the right, and a warhost marking on a knee cap. Beyond that, one squad will get dead laurels, another books, another censers, etc… I think with a fresh set of paint, it’ll look really sharp.

The Daemon Prince is a little different story. I love the model. I’m even planning a post on it once I finish his counterpart. But it was hard to take him too seriously. He’s a model for a secondary army. He’s not a choice that I’d take too often if I had the option. He’s got a lot of skin, which isn’t going to be a natural color. So he probably ended up right around tabletop ready.

It’s sad, but not unexpected when you realize this was my inspiration.

Still, I think he looks pretty solid with the steroid body and beady eyes.

Hobby Accomplishments

- Finished all previous hobby goals!

- Played multiple games!

- Primed the drop pods

- Bought a Land Raider Redeemer, the final piece of the Blood Wing

Hobby Goals

- Get at least one coat of red on each drop pod

- Fully finish the first pod

- Find out where the heck my land raider doors are

2 comments:

  1. Have you considered offering a model painting service? That way you could still paint to your heart's content, make some money from it, and not have to keep the models sitting around afterward.

    Might be a cool source of side-income.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that my painting is quite up to that level. I also paint so slowly that if I tried to take on commission work, I don't know that I'd be able to deliver it on time, and still be able to do some of the projects I want to do.

    Unless you know someone that needs some work done :P.

    ReplyDelete