Sunday, March 6, 2011

Hobby Update

Drop pods. What isn’t awesome about a bunch of super soldiers screaming towards the ground at incredible speed, slamming into the battlefield, and then bringing the pain? It’s an exciting bit of imagination.

In reality? Both to paint and in game, the model doesn’t do as much for me. In game, I put it down, roll the scatter dice, then I move it to clear space and it just sits there, immobile. It doesn’t produce a lot of excitement, but for a largely foot army that wants to put pressure on the opposing force early, it’s a necessary set of pieces to deliver these bad boys:

The model is boring because it’s essentially five identical pieces with large flat areas. There’s just enough detail and lines to mean some fine lines and edging, but not anything to make it interesting. Unless you’re willing to do some serious free-hand work, I don’t know that you can do so much to make each of them different, and I just have too much in the queue that I really want to get to. I will have to settle for a few small things and some variation in each paint job.

Thankfully, I am motivated. I’m not making leaps and bounds, but rather slow steady progress that will see the pods done at some point, hopefully in the near future. In the meantime, here’s a look at the progress on the first one:

Still some work to do, but getting there. The hard part is going to be when I get to the interior.

I also snagged some magnetic bases this weekend. I’m not satisfied with the way my homemade metal pieces are performing. They’re falling off the contact points and don’t have the precision I want. I also needed new movement trays, since all mine were set up for 20mm bases, so I’m doing the full scope of the project. I figured if I were rebasing my Warriors anyway, I might as well do some work on scenic bases, so I’m working on some white marble, but we’ll see.

Hobby Accomplishments:

- Got my Land Raider doors in

- Got a coat of red on each drop pod

Hobby Goals

- Finish the pod I’m working on

- Scrub the release agent off my resin doors

- Get my Khorne Warriors all on magnetic bases

No comments:

Post a Comment