Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hobby Update

In the intervening two weeks or so, I have finally managed to get painting again.

The house is in a decent enough shape that I've finally been able to relax and do some "work." I began juggling about four things that I was putting paint on. First on the queue is the drop pod that I've been working and I'm actually making what feels like significant progress. I'm also working on the accompanying Land Raider, a Warwitch Deneghra from a Cryx Battlebox, and an Elven Menhir terrain piece.
I'm giving the old college try to my first bit of free hand on the left half of the Land Raider. Really, it's just a simple wing design sweeping back along the hull, but if it comes off alright, it should look pretty sharp. The issue I'm having is that it looks... Cartoon-y? I am planning on turning the points of the feathers up to be more blade-like, and the wife has suggested making most of the black of the lines gray instead, leaving just a little bit of outline. Hopefully that will give me the effect I'm looking for.
Finally, I made it out to the FLGS again. This time was a little better. I was still largely ignored by the local clique, but there was a member of what is apparently the Wednesday night regulars looking for a game that afternoon. We played a Capture and Control mission with his Dark Eldar and my Loganwing. It was my first game against the Dark Eldar and I knew they were mobile, but the ability to move and absolutely pour out the firepower was stunning. My squads managed to arrive at the rate of about one per turn and got shot off the table as soon as they did so. I just didn't have enough speed or sustainability to counter-punch. However, this ended up working to my advantage. The last two squads both came in on turn 4 with one dropping in on his objective and the other rolling onto mine in a Land Raider. He couldn't pop the Land Raider in time and I kept him off his on turn 5, and when we rolled for random game's end, it did. It felt Pyrrhic because I was almost entirely wiped out, while his force was almost entirely intact, but I guess that's another lesson in keeping your eyes on the objective.

Hobby Goals
-Find a way to paint the Land Raider Hull that I like
-Finish that drop pod!!!!
-Acquire some new paints
Blood Red
Dark Gray
Light Gray

Hobby Accomplishments
-Won a game
-Got the table set up

2 comments:

  1. i like reading this... truly! it feels like i get to step into your bedroom again like days of old. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounds super-creepy to anyone who doesn't know the context :P

    ReplyDelete