Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hobby Update: Further Vargheist Thoughts

The group in progress
I don't know if it's burnout or the models or what, but I find myself struggling to finish these guys.  Honestly, I'm not sure how to finish them.  I wanted to use dark colors to set them apart from the main body of the force and to resonate with the Death Company models.  At the same time, I didn't want to use pure black, since I'm using it for armor pieces throughout the force.

The color I settled on was a very dark slate gray for the body, plus Fortress Grey for the wings and hair.  I washed down the wings.  I put a pretty heavy drybrushing of white on the hair.  I don't think it even qualifies as drybrushing anymore, but I like the way it turned out.  I'd usually Badab Black on the rest of the body too, but the recesses are so pronounced, I think I'm going to go with actual black paint and then drybrush a lighter gray on the larger muscled areas for highlights.  Even with all that, I don't know how visually interesting they're going to be.  I'm worried they'll look basically like blanks on the table.  They need a splash of color or something to draw the eye, but I'm stumped as far as where that splash belongs.
Suggestions?


Hobby Accomplishments
-Finished Deneghra
-Played the first two games of a campaign
- Made Space Hulk bases
-Worked on the Vargheists
-And finally, fifty posts!  Woot!

Hobby Goals
-Finish all the red on the Land Raider
-Finish the Vargheists
-Acquire more Rhino and Land Raider doors

4 comments:

  1. Things to consider:
    - Painting the membrane in the wings a lighter color. They're thin, necrotic skin.

    - Differentiating between the mane & pube hair and the skin. They've got different texture and would probably naturally have different colors.

    - BLOODBLOODBLOOD! If they're mostly monochromatic, some blood splashes will really stand out. Trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're at Fortress Gray right now. How light would you go? Bleached bone?

      What about the hair? Brown? Firecrotch?

      Delete
  2. What about adding an accent on the dorsal fin/spines? Maybe the first one or alternating ones should be a different color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually supposed to be a mane of hair.

      Delete