Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Grandma's Cash is Still Full of Win

Even as an adult, getting cash from Grandma for Christmas is an exciting prospect. There’s nothing quite as exciting as a few crisp bills full of potential burning a hole in my wallet. When I show up at game night, I stare at the racks of models and waffle between which project I want to give some love to, or which piece of new hotness I’m coveting. With a new year beginning (as well as this blog), I think it’s a good time to take stock of what those projects are.

It was a fairly prolific 2010. I racked up 234 painting points, which is pretty good, but I was standing on 200 in July, so I’m sure you can do the math. After graduation, with a new job, productivity took a serious dip. It’s taken a lot to figure out how to carve out time in a new routine, but I think I’m finally getting a grip on it.

That said, here’s a quick look at a few things I am working on:

The Blood Wing

It’s not a GW game without Blood or Skull in the title, right? I loved the Space Hulk miniatures so much, I thought I’d try building a force out of them, with a few other First Company elements. I have the infantry done, but I need to do three drop pods and a Land Raider Redeemer before I can finally put it on the table.

The Widowmakers

I have had a decent size force of Chaos Warriors since 5th edition. I painted them with Khorne in mind, which meant that on the table, they were virtually useless because they were completely out of control. Finally, with the new edition, they have a shot at choosing what and when they are going to charge, so they have become a fun alternative to my High Elves. The problem is now the units must be bigger. Thankfully, I found someone willing to dump their previous edition models, so my force will look consistent. Now they just need paint. I also have a daemon prince conversion that will be featured in a future post.

Terrain

I’ve been frustrated with my terrain for a long time. It looked great, but was not very functional. I am working on forests that can retain a high aesthetic quality, but will also be able to use and transport. With some of the changes in rules, I also see a need for impassable terrain. I have some ideas, but I need to put some thought into the execution.

So that’s just a few of the things in the hopper. Now it’s time to set some goals. In the next two weeks, I would like to:

-Build all three drop pods

-Order the Forge World bits for the Land Raider

-Prime my Chaos Warriors

No comments:

Post a Comment