Sunday, January 8, 2012

Hobby Restart

I've made it back to California after an extended period of time.  While it is certainly no even trade to have to say goodbye to family and friends, it is nice to kick back and relax at home.  After three weeks of not being able to paint, I'm also excited to be able to take care of some of the hobby withdrawal I've been feeling.

The last thing I finished before I left was the second drop pod.  Of course, after returning I realized that I hadn't done any washing.  So it's not actually done, but I am guessing that it'll take a few minutes at the most.  In the meantime, here are a couple of pictures.

I need to do the washes to bring out the details

Easier to paint with no harnesses
I did the Dreadnought's drop pod second, because I thought it would get finished quicker.  Having only one pod left should provide the light at the end of the tunnel on the drop pod project.  As always, it will take way longer than I hope.

Building models may be my favorite part of the hobby.
One reason beyond the usual is my ADD is kicking in post-Christmas.  I got a box of Storm Boyz and I've been staring at the sprues, salivating over all the different options.  Not only am I stoked to see what I can make of the unit, but all the extra bits are definitely going to make their way on a variety of other Orky projects.  Eventually...

Santa also brought a GW paint station, which is pretty cool.  The more I think about it, the more I'm sure its going to get a ton of use.  I have a table that I paint at occasionally, but just as often, I'm sitting in front of the TV in the living room, so having a little tray is going to be convenient.

While I was home, I had a bunch of free time, some of which I used to start writing my campaign.  I think I have a pretty solid bit of background fluff.  Everybody needs warpdrives and there isn't exactly a ton of canon regarding their make up, so I've centered the story around a desert world that contains pockets of a fuel substance with a much more original name than unobtainium.  This creates a setting broad enough that any race might arrive on the scene which is really what I'm going for.  There still needs to be a lot of polishing, but at least I've written down one thing that I'm happy with.  For me, if I can just get one thing right, I can usually convince myself to work on that next little detail. 

Finally, I've taken the plunge and signed up for the From the Warp blog network.  I'd like to do more to plug in to what is "out there" and while this is still my own very self-centered project, I think exposing my blog to other traffic, and, in turn, myself to other blogs, I'll be able to do this better.

Hobby Accomplishments
-Played a game of Fantasy.  I enjoyed the Beastmen.  They are very different from my Chaos Warriors or High Elves and it was a refreshing change.
-Played a bunch of other games including Castle Ravenloft and A Game of Thrones.  I hope to write about both of them in the future as both are just top notch board games.
-Did some writing for my campaign.  I have a setting and some mechanics sketched out.

Hobby Goals
-Seriously, finish shading Pod 2 and basecoat pod 3.
-Get a game set up for the coming week.
-Finish the Elven Menhir

No comments:

Post a Comment