Monday, January 2, 2012

Looking Back, Looking Forward: Gaming

This past year was one of my best when it comes to gaming, both in terms of getting in games and getting the result.  I've had summers where the gaming has been thicker, but I don't believe I've had this many games in a calendar year.  I also had the opportunity to play in my first tournament.  I'd say tournaments, but I don't think I can really count 'Ard Boyz.  Finally, I had the chance to run a tournament, which was a fantastic experience and came off very well.  I'd love to do it again. 
I've really enjoyed 8th edition Fantasy since it came out a year and a half ago.  I've heard a fair bit of whining about it, but I honestly believe that it's more fun than the previous edition.  Does it have more random elements?  Are a few of the spells over the top?  Is the terrain straight out of Scooby-Doo?  Easily.  Is it less tactical?  I don't think so.  What was tactical about refusing to engage, hiding behind an impenetrable woods, and spamming level 2 wizards?  Sure there are holes, but it narrowed gaps and made the game more fun.

This year, all I'd really like to do is keep playing.  Maybe I'll give Storm of Magic a run.  Maybe I'll get caught up in a league.  Mostly though, I just want to find a few guys to play against in some beer and pretzels games so I can trot out a bunch of different, fun lists against a variety of armies.

With a new edition approaching, I'm wondering what will happen to my forces in 40K.  There are lots of whisperings about changes coming.  It hasn't dampened my enthusiasm, but I do wonder what will come.  Regardless, I'd like to push myself to play 40K a little more consistently and competitively. 

I've mentioned it previously, but I'd like to design and execute a map-based campaign.  I'd like to create the setting and the fluff and assemble a nice looking booklet to put out.  I don't have a group of guys to play it yet, but with some doing, I'm sure it can be figured out. 

Unfortunately, the recent move means I have very little in the way of rapport with local gaming groups.  I have seen them happening and heard about others, but nothing thus far in terms of being able to plug in.  I believe future success will rely on simply throwing myself in there.  Apparently, a brand new league is starting in the next few weeks at both local stores, so I will have to decide where and how much I want to commit myself. 

Beyond that, I'd love to try some War Machine, maybe some Pathfinder, and definitely more Board Games.


Gaming Goals for the New Year
-Plug into the local gaming scene.  
-Continue playing the armies I've enjoyed.
-Play in a BIG tournament.  Doesn't matter which system.  I should definitely have ample opportunity, though it might be quite a drive.  I also want to play in three other tournaments, so about one a quarter.  I'd like to average finishing in the top half.
-Write a campaign and play in a campaign and a league.  I love playing casually, but I would love to add a consistent, competitive aspect to promote more tactical analysis.  I also want to produce a pdf of a full campaign with fluff, missions, and pictures.


2011 Final Gaming Stats
Games Played: 28
40K: 11-2
Fantasy: 10-4-1
Tournaments: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment