Thursday, February 16, 2012

Fear the Coryphaus!

What am I supposed to be working on?  A Land Raider and 3 Vargheists for Saturday. 

What am I actually working on?  Finishing a Word Bearers Daemon Prince.  He'll serve as the military strategist to the Dark Apostle.  I find him suitably intimidating.
Who wants a hug?
He's been Mechrite Red for an extended period of time, but I finally got around to putting a basecoat of 1:1 Red Gore and Scab Red on him while I was taking a break from working on some other things.  Then I got sucked in and put on the next layer of straight up Red Gore, followed by highlights with 2:1 Red Gore and Blood Red.  This is the standard procedure that I am using for my Word Bearers marines, though obviously on a smaller scale.  It produces a very robust, deep red that I'm quite fond of.  The interesting part with this model was doing the highlighting for much larger areas of illumination.  He's so similar in structure to a space marine in power armor, that while the highlight areas felt familiar, they were larger, so trying to do them so they looked smooth felt more difficult.

Additionally, I rebased my Fantasy Daemon Prince, so we have this family portrait:
You and me...  and me and you...
I share this "ohbytheway" because I built both from a single kit.  When the new kit came out several years ago, I picked one up.  Being a huge cheapskate, I counted up the bits and realized that it was short only a back and a set of legs to be twice as efficient. 

Never one to pass up a chance to do a little hobby and save a few bucks, I used some old Legos to build a crucible and made a mold out of greenstuff.  I let the mold sit overnight, then coated it in Vaseline, and put an ample amount of putty into it.  In a rare spell of patience, I let that sit long enough to harden, then pulled it out via the twist-tie that you can see embedded in the inside of the piece.  It turned out quite well.  I can't remember which Prince has the false back and can't tell by looking at them.

I would recommend the same procedure to anyone looking to save a few bucks or looking for a hobby project.  There are lots of great bits in the kit, and even if you don't have an extra set of legs laying around, you can really get creative with options for the lower half.

Finally, I'm headed to Dundracon with some friends this weekend.  It'll be quite a drive, but I'm sure that will be more than made up for with the fun to be had both at the con and in the tournament.  It's also my first tournament of the year and in a very new environment, so we'll see how it goes.



No comments:

Post a Comment