Sunday, February 26, 2012

Hobby Update: Space Hulk on the Brain+

I painted the bases that I had mocked up recently.  I'm pleased with the results for a number of reasons.
First, I did some research and it shouldn't be too cost or time prohibitive to crank out a whole bunch more of them.  Second, I tried out Reaper's line of paints for the first time.  I didn't see a GW color that I liked for this, and I've been meaning to try out new paints, so I grabbed some Blackened Steel the last time I was at the shop.  Granted, I didn't try to do a lot with it, but it seems like good stuff.  Finally, I'm really pleased with how they looked.  The models look just how I think they should.  They're dynamic.  They're evocative.  They're exactly what I hoped for.

The biggest headache of the whole process was trying to separate the models from their original bases.  I guess that's part of the problem with committing to an idea wholly, prior to when you really should.  I ended up losing a few toes temporarily and had to glue them back on.  It's not a big deal, but definitely a pain.  If anyone has any tips on separating plastic connected via super glue cleanly, I'd appreciate it.

And of course, this came out:
While the chances of me actually buying one, let alone enough to play a whole game of 40K on, are slim to none (but desperately hoping that slim pays out),  I might have run around the house screaming with my hands in the air.  It's pretty cool.

Finally, we get to the plus.  I've been mostly good.  I have gotten a lot done on the Vargheists, and they're pretty close to done.  But I also got wrapped up in painting Deneghra from a Cryx battle box.  For the most part, I haven't tried to do anything special, but I went a little more extreme with the highlighting on the dress.  I like how it turned out.  What I don't like, almost hate in fact, is the head.  I'm considering swapping it out for a Dark Eldar Wych head.  Really any head from that particular group would look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment